Sunday, May 26, 2013

Mulch It Update

A couple weeks ago, I shared Blooming Prairie's woodchip mulch experiment with readers, and I'm back again with great news! Woodchip mulching seems to have many more added benefits!


Most days I spend an hour or two walking the prairie pulling weeds and ultimately, discovering more and more about relationships within our world. Not only does wandering the property help me manage it effectively, but it provides me with exciting sites, sounds and smells. I highly recommend exploring one's own backyard, local park, or any space for that matter. One never knows what he/she might find!

Take a look at what I came across when I went picking a few weeds up front on the large woodchip mulched area...

...it takes a good eye to spot these! I'm surprised I didn't damage any of these little guys, as they are incredibly well hidden.


The nest of an unidentified species of bird. The eggs were small, less than an inch long, and I didn't see any sign of a mother. Anyone know to whom this belongs?!?!

Most Iowans are familiar with the next bird, Charadrius vociferous. Spotting this nest was tough, but the mother bird definitely made me aware that her nest was somewhere close. Man, these birds are loud!

 There you have it. Woodchip mulching created bird nesting habitat for us out on the prairie. These little guys will have plently of insects, grubs, bugs and seeds to eat, too, when...IF they hatch and grow larger! I can't wait!

1 comment:

  1. Please contact me at bill@griggses.com -- I am putting together a proposal for a large native planting and need to see if you are interested in sourcing us the required material -- thank you

    Bill Martin

    ReplyDelete